Friday, June 15, 2007

Registration is now closed. I can't believe we got 200 runners to commit more than a month before El Scorcho.


It's amazing to think that this all started 9 months ago when Jason and I were talking on one of our long training runs. At the time, I had finally broken the 4-hour marathon barrier, and I was thinking about running an ultra. I told Jason I wanted to run 30 miles on my 30th birthday (July 16) and asked him if he'd like to join me. From there, the idea snowballed.


Why don't we run the 30 miles at night to beat the July heat?

What if we invite some more folks to run with us?

What if we made it an organized event?

What if we donated the proceeds to charity?


Knowing our limitations as race directors, we decided to look to the professionals for help. A few e-mails to Coach Jim led us to partner with Fort Worth Running Company. James Newsom (co-owner of FWRunCo) suggested the Trinity Park loop for the course. Perfect.


We set up the website, posted a few messages on some blogs, e-mailed a few listservs, and suddenly, El Scorcho was off and running.


And now, here we are, with 200 crazy runners committed to showing up at midnight on July 15 to run 25K or 50K in Fort Worth, Texas. We've got sponsors, medals, prizes, etc. Wow.


So what else do we need? Volunteers!!! E-mail Coach Jim to help out.

No comments: